Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Gondor...

As my last modelling advice blog turned out to be quite a hit, I have decided to do more modelling advice/tips based blogs. I asked what you'd like me to blog about, and the most popular one was actually...



Alas, I was looking for modelling topics, so for now this subject shall not be discussed; however it did give me many giggles to see people following suit after one of my friends posted "Gondor" on my status asking for topics.

I have decided to start with the beginning and that's "Preparing for a shoot" this blog is pretty much a common sense post, however I have had people asking me what is is they need to do to prepare for a shoot etc.

The night before a shoot I have a bit of a routine, as I am sure you all do. Firstly, I will send the photographer a message the night before, just double confirming everything, by this stage I'd have already swapped contact details, so I can contact them in the morning to let them know when I have got on the train, and when I am almost there etc. I think it's vital to keep in contact so everyone knows exactly what is going on on the day.

Something I have learnt through trail and error, studio lighting will make darker roots look even more darker, so if you really do not want this look then I highly suggest you treat your hair beforehand. I tend to do that 2 days before a shoot; so that I can get it in perfect condition rather than that just home-dyed look; with conditioning masks etc. A mask I highly recommend if by Lush, the one I use is H'suan Wen Hua, I find this hydrates my hair, and gives it back it's soft silky feel. However, there are  many different hair types out there, so what may work for one, might not work for others; another amazing thing I'd recommend is Moroccan Oil.

I recommend bringing, your own brush, some bobbypins/hair grips, extensions, wigs etc

If you are having a hair stylist, make sure you check with them how they want your hair to be, as they may want your hair to be in a certain condition etc on the day.

Your skin is extremely important, I assume most of you moisturise on a regular day to day basis, if not be sure to do so the night before and the morning of your shoot. So exfoliate your skin, so it's nice and smooth for the day. To the women that use spray tan, I cannot give you any advice here, as I have never had one in my life; so anything I say would just be assumption; however something I do know avoid tan lines and uneven tones at all costs!

Stick to the moisturisers you know, do not change them the night before or a few days before a shoot, as you cannot guarantee your skin type will be compatible with them. If you do want to try a new product out, I recommend testing it out a good week or 2 before the shoot; just to avoid any nasty surprises. You could even consider doing a simple skin test, just to be sure.

Spots, I know it's going to be hard to resists but if you get one the morning of your shoot DO NOT touch it, you'll only make it worse, redder and more apparent. You can deal with this by using a really good concealer, also note it will most likely get removed within the post-production. So please do not stress too much if you happen to have one or two.

Nail, I always like to do mine the night before, if nothing has been agreed for my nails I always like to use a clear nail polish, so they look nice and healthy in the shots; though if a colour scheme has been agreed upon I will do my nails in accordance to the scheme, so the tones are complimentary. See like I said most of this stuff is common sense.

Make-Up,if there has been a MUA arranged for the shoot, then arrive to the shoot as a blank canvas, this means remove ALL make-up; the reason for this is because you'll just waste time on the day having to remove it, and you could irritate your skin thus leaving it all red and blotchy; making more work for the MUA.

I always bring my own make-up and brushes to a shoot, as well as wipes as you never know when they might come in handy. I actually do not use a lot of make-up in my shoots, I very rarely wear foundations/powders etc. However, I have through working with MUA learnt a few things, but again this is all common knowledge when it comes to using make-up. It's recommended not to use any make-up that's shiny or too bright, as it will cause a glare during the shoot. It's important to apply a smooth and consistent base to the skin; otherwise your skin tones etc will look very uneven. See... common sense/ basic make-up knowledge.

Another thing I always bring to a shoot is a little mirror, just in case.


Clothing, I always pack the night before the shoot, as you do not want any last minute rushing in the morning. Wear loose fitted clothes on your way to the shoot, to avoid any lines etc, also if you have a corset shoot planned, I recommend leaving them to the very end... again to avoid lines.

The wardrobe for the day is normally pre-arranged and heavily discussed, if the clothing is provided for you on the day, then you don't have to pack quite as much, though if you have made clothing arrangements then it's always best to write out a list before you start packing. Also it's very important to make sure the clothing is in perfect condition for the day, you don't want any nasty shocks when you arrive to the shoot.

When it comes to underwear, bring a selection with you, always bring some flesh toned with you too, especially if you're doing glamour, implied nude etc. Bring an assortment of tights/nylon/stockings. If needed bring a dressing gown so you can stay warm between outfit changes, or if your on a location shoot, they do come in handy, as do towels on a location shoot! Another thing to consider if not being provided for you, is accessories, so bring a selection of jewellery, shoes, hats etc if required. Remember all these details will be pre-discussed when arranging your shoot.

Another handy thing to bring with you is safety pins, just in case a back button goes or something. It's always best to pack for every scenario, so that you are completely prepared and don't get caught off-guard.

Posing, I always tend to practise posing in the mirror a night before a shoot too, to help me get an idea of certain poses I want to try out, facial expressions etc. Sounds silly to pose in front of a mirror, but honestly, you'll hear so many people give you this tip, especially when you're just starting out and I still do this one! Another thing you can do is flick through magazines for inspiration on body shapes etc. Do not be afraid to experiment with your facial expressions and poses. Please note if you're not comfortable with what you're doing it will show on your face, so you have to find a way to relax even in the most awkward of poses.

Another one I need to learn for myself...  DON'T BE AFRAID TO SMILE, I hate smiling in shoots, but I throw one in every so often; really does make a difference at times..of course if the concept of the shoot requires it.

Be sure to get plenty of Rest the night before a shoot, so avoid a night out is certainly to be avoided, so you arrive early with a fresh face ready for shooting.

Also, the most important thing have fun!

I think I have covered everything... if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to update this post further.

No comments:

Post a Comment